Pasta with Eggplant Tomato Sauce
Eggplants give a different texture and taste to tomato sauce on your pasta. Try with a glass of Tinto red wine from Mountain Cove Vineyards.
1 medium eggplant
1) Peel eggplant and cut into cubes. Place in steamer over boiling water and steam about 10 minutes or until tender.
2) Remove eggplant into colander and drain. Place in medium-sized bowl and mash with potato masher.
3) Meanwhile, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in large deep skillet on medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until onion is tender. Probably about 10 minutes.
4) Add garlic and spices to onion in pan and stir. Saute a few minutes.
5) Add mashed eggplant into mixture and stir.
6) Add canned tomatoes and bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add a couple of ladles of water from boiling pasta to the sauce.
7) Serve with your choice of pasta.